Tuesday 17 January 2017


Friday, 13 January 2017


Year 4 Homework

Date set: 13.1.17

Date Due in: 20.1.17

 

Reading (every day):

Please write in your reading diary when you have read.

 

Maths (20mins):

For Maths week our theme has been witches and wizards – please try at least one of the magical problems you have been given. Please also practise your times tables. This week I need to practise my _____ x tables.

 

Literacy (20mins):
On the blog, please write a conversation between two characters from Brave Rowland. Remember to use:
·         Speech marks around the words which are said.
·         Punctuation inside the speech marks.
·         A new line for each new speaker.
·         A comma to separate the speech and narrative.
·         Alternatives for said.
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Spellings (20mins:

These should be practised for a short time each day, using the words given in sentences. This week your spellings all contain suffixes. Look carefully at how the root word changes.

You need to:

 • look at each word

• say the word

• copy the word in first space

• cover the words and try to write it from memory

• check to see if they are right

 

 

Group 1

 
Copy and cover
Write and check
Write again
complete
 
 
 
completely
 
 
 
happy
 
 
 
happily
 
 
 
final
 
 
 
finally
 
 
 
simple
 
 
 
simply
 
 
 
basic
 
 
 
basically
 
 
 

 

Group 2

 
Copy and cover
Write and check
Write again
poison
 
 
 
poisonous
 
 
 
danger
 
 
 
dangerous
 
 
 
humour
 
 
 
humorous
 
 
 
glamour
 
 
 
glamourous
 
 
 
courage
 
 
 
courageous
 
 
 
tremendous
 
 
 
jealous
 
 
 

 

 

 

The Tall Tower


 

You have been imprisoned at the top of the Tall Tower by the Wicked Magician!

You can get out by climbing down the ladders. As you come down you collect useful spells.

You can go down the ladders and through the doorways into the adjoining room but you cannot go into the same room twice, nor climb up the ladders.

The numbers in the rooms show how many spells there are in each one.

the tall tower - ten rooms each with a certain number of spells in

Which way should you go to collect the most spells?

And which way to collect as few as possible?

Can you find a route that collects exactly 35 spells?

 

 

 

 

 

 

'Is it Magic or Is it Maths?'Magician's hat.

Here are three 'tricks' to amaze your friends.

But the really clever trick is explaining to them why these 'tricks' are maths and not magic. Like all good magicians, you should practise by trying them. Can you explain how they work?

star
This trick will impress even your maths teacher.

  • Think of a number.
  • Double it.
  • Add 10.
  • Halve it.
  • Take away your original number.
  • Is your answer 5?

Try this with a different starting number. Did you get a different result? Why does this happen?
Write the answer on a piece of paper without letting anybody see it and seal it in an envelope. Have somebody hold the envelope and at the end ask them to open it and reveal the number you wrote at the beginning. Wow, Magic!
https://nrich.maths.org/content/01/04/penta3/star.gif

Can you explain how this works?

star
Extra Challenge
 
Amaze your audience by working out not only their age but also what size shoe they wear! Wow them even more by telling them how the maths works.
Give them the following directions but tell them not to show you any calculations:

  • Write down your age.
  • Multiply it by ½ of 40.
  • Add on today's date (e.g. 2 if it's the 2nd of the month).
  • Multiply by ¼ of 20
  • Now add on your shoe size (if it's a half size round to a whole number).
  • Finally subtract 5 times today's date.
  • Show me your final answer!

Look at the answer, the hundreds are the age and the remaining digits are the shoe size. If for instance somebody shows you 1105, there are 11 hundreds - the age, and the remaining digits 05 (or 5) show the shoe size.Now, how on earth does that work?

16 comments:

  1. “I need help to find Lady Ellen, tell me where to get her and my brothers.” Brave Rowland announced to Chief Warlock.
    “Okay, they’re all in Efland and are captured by the Elf king, in Efland there is 1 thing you must do and 1 thing you mustn’t.” Chief Warlock said carefully
    “After you have talked to anyone you must chop off their head and no matter how hungry or thirsty you are, never eat or drink anything.” Chief Warlock solemnly.
    “Thank you for your help and advice, I will do my best to use them.” Brave Rowland said.
    BY SIENNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. The important conversation of Brave Rowland and the Chief Warlock

    Brave Rowland said, " Where is my sister Lady Ellen?" "We were playing with a golden ball when I kicked it high over the church and she went to get it! And she wouldn't return. The Chief Warlock replied, "your sister is in Elf land." " what should I do to find her?" Asked Brave Rowland. " There are two things I must tell you." Said the Chief Warlock. "There is one thing you must do and one thing you mustn't do, the thing you must do is if any body talks or speaks to you, you must execute them and the thing you mustn't do is not to eat and drink or if you do that you will never see your house again!" " OK I will do as I am told." Responded Brave Rowland.





    ReplyDelete
  3. "What did you do with my room". Icy from my channels and Darcy from the
    Same channel
    "Your room you mean my room"
    "No"
    "This is my room"
    "Liar"
    "Your lying"


    ReplyDelete
  4. "Excuse me Cheif Warlock, thank you for telling me the way to my sister witch was up a tower" replied Brave Rowland on his way home.
    "No need too thank me I'm just doing my job, besides those good things and bad things I told you before... not true thats why I gave you a potion to revive them. All these choping heads and not being able to eat or drink just to chalenge you and test that you are actually 'Brave' Rowland" replied Cheif Warlock
    "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! so thats why"

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Oh hi worlock whats up?"
    "Oh nothing just making potion whats been goining on with you?"
    "Ive just gone sword thraning for the first time!"
    "Ok and why did you come here?"
    "Oh oh yes im here to get advice how to get my sister back from the elf king!"
    "Are yes you must not eat or drink and you must chop all of the peoples heads of."
    "Ok thanks i will remember that bye!"





    BY H@Y@N

    ReplyDelete
  6. HYDE PARK
    BLOG
    Brave Rowland
    So at last, the queen’s youngest son (Brave Rowland) went to the Araca Mountain’s to meet Chief Warlock, Chief Warlock was busy making dangerous potion’s. Brave Rowland said “sorry to disturb you, but please could you help me. My sister is lost. Me and my older brothers have been searching for her, for almost a day, we were playing ball and she ran to fetch the ball, the ball fell near the old church and we did not see her from that moment”
    “I see the problem”
    “What is it?”
    “Problem is that she has been taken by the guard’s of the king of Elfland because that church was the opposite way to the sun. She is now in the Dark Tower of the King of Elfland.
    “Is it possible to bring her back,” said her brother
    “It is possible” replied the great Warlock. Brave Rowland was also told that he couldn’t eat or drink anything.

    by,
    kaivy

    ReplyDelete
  7. HYDE PARK
    BLOG
    Brave Rowland
    So at last, the queen’s youngest son (Brave Rowland) went to the Araca Mountain’s to meet Chief Warlock, Chief Warlock was busy making dangerous potion’s. Brave Rowland said “sorry to disturb you, but please could you help me. My sister is lost. Me and my older brothers have been searching for her, for almost a day, we were playing ball and she ran to fetch the ball, the ball fell near the old church and we did not see her from that moment”
    “I see the problem”
    “What is it?”
    “Problem is that she has been taken by the guard’s of the king of Elfland because that church was the opposite way to the sun. She is now in the Dark Tower of the King of Elfland.
    “Is it possible to bring her back,” said her brother
    “It is possible” replied the great Warlock. Brave Rowland was also told that he couldn’t eat or drink anything.
    by,
    kaivy

    ReplyDelete
  8. A long time ago there lived a girl and a boy called Mia and Alex ; lets go to the park
    said mia. Without any fear,the went to the park by the self's the were very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Hello"said brave Rowland
    "Hello and how are you doing today"replied lady Ellen
    "Are you tyred of yesterday when i saved you"said brave rowland.
    "Yes i am" said lady Ellen
    "do you want breakfast lady Ellen"wisperd slowly,
    "no thanks i all ready had breakfast in the night because i was hungry"Replied lady Ellen.
    "i mite g back to sleep later because i am not well" said brave Rowland.
    Okay bye i am going to bed to play on my tablet"said brave Rowland.
    "okay bye"relied Lady Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I am going to destroy you you pathetic little scoundrel,"shouted the elf King Bravley.

    "I I don't think so,"replied Brave Rowland.

    "I am going to turn you into nothingness",cried the elf KING!

    "How do you plan on doing that you big fat smelly goblin,"asked Brave Rowland in a curios way?

    "By slicing you into two thousand and fourty eight pieces,"!

    "AAAAAAA,"he charged at the smelly old King!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Hi Im Brave Rowland" "What's your name?" Brave Rowland asked
    "I'm called the Magical Wizard"The Wizard replied
    "Nice to meet you" said Brave Rowland
    "Do you like burgers and chips?" whispered The Wizard
    "Yes!" answered Brave Rowland
    "Are you allowed to come over for dinner"claimed the Wizard
    Brave Rowland cried and cried because he's not allowed to go because he's banned.
    "I'm not allowed because I'm banned' cried Brave Rowland.
    "You can sneak in" The wizard explained
    "Good idea " mentioned Brave Rowland. "See you later" informed Brave Rowland.
    "See you later" informed The Wizard
    "Bye" conveyed Brave Rowland

    Brave Rowland begged to his mum.
    "Please can I go to the Wizard's house for dinner tomorrow?" exclaimed Brave Rowland.
    "In the world of no it N O spells NO!" shouted Brave Rowland's mum

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very Cautiously,the great Wizzard knocked on the door and said polity
    "What are you doing here young sir are you lost"asked the wizard
    "No I'm not I'm trying to find the great and powerful Dragon of the icy world"replied Brave Rowland
    "Is it offend every one is talking about it"said Brave Rowland
    "oh yes it is because people have found it for many years but they just don't want to tell because it is a big and great,powerful secret people in the village don't actually know about it and you are the only person to know about and actually going and get the beast so well done for you kind and polite sir"said the great o wonderras one the wizard
    "Thank you but you deserve the credit because you are the one that inspired me to do all of this stuff so yeah you deserve the credit thanks a lot"said the great Brave Rowland
    "that's my pleasure thank you"said the kind old Wizard"said the wizard politly speaker gently.
    "OK i must be going on my journey so by,by king powerful wizard.shouting across the whole village Brave Rowland

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I want to have that ball because mum gave that to me" replied lady Ellen.
    "I want that ball to because I asked mum and she said that I could have it before you" shouted Brave Rowland.
    "Run and get it or I play catch the ball with my brothers" cried Brave Rowland.
    "I would get the ball and I will play catch with mum" replied Lady Ellen.



    ReplyDelete
  14. "Come on Hansa !" shouted Akshita .
    "Okay," replied Hansa .
    " You are such a slow coach," laughed Akshita.
    "STOP TALKING AKSHITA AND HANSA!" said Yuvika angrily .
    "Okay Miss Rajput," said Hansa.
    "Stop calling me Rajput !" screamed Yuvika.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "We're are my two brothers" said brave Roland
    "Go to elf land" said chief warlock
    "Okay" said brave Roland bravely
    "But you must not eat or drink any thing there and any one who talks to you chop there head of" said chief warlock

    ReplyDelete
  16. “Were is my sister!” bellowed Roland
    “I give mercy please do not hurt me,” cried the elf king.
    “You must free my sister from the curse and give her to me then you are free!” Commanded Brave Roland.
    “Ok ok I did it now please can I go,” he asked
    “NO! You must now give me a potion to revive people,” he shouted
    “But you said I’m free when I free your sister!” he nagged
    “SILENCE! Give me the potion now or I will behead you!”
    “ok…..here you go.”

    ReplyDelete