Friday 22 June 2018


Year 4 Homework
Date set: 22.06.2018

Reading:
Please write in your reading diary when you have read. You will have been allocated a Bug Club book to read at home, which will be different to the one that you are reading in school. Check with your teacher if you are not sure which one is which. Don’t forget to answer the ‘bugs’- look out for them on each page! Please don’t “close” the book until all the bugs have been answered.

Maths (20mins):
This week we have been practising finding the area and perimeter of compound shapes. You have been set work on Mathletics to help you to practise this.
Please also practise your times tables and division facts up to 12x12.



Literacy:
Our next literacy topic will be poetry for homework we would like you to find and learn a favourite poem that you can share with the class. You can put the poem on the blog and say what it is you like about the poem. Then try learning the poem off by heart so you can peform the poem in class.
Sick
By Shel Silverstein
“I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
“I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I’m going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I’ve counted sixteen chicken pox
And there’s one more--that’s seventeen,
And don’t you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut--my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I’m sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button’s caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle’s sprained,
My ‘pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow’s bent, my spine ain’t straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What’s that? What’s that you say?
You say today is. . .Saturday?
G’bye, I’m going out to play!”


Spellings (20mins)
These should be practised for a short time each day, using the words given in sentences.
You need to:
 • look at each word
• say the word
• copy the word in first space
• cover the words and try to write it from memory
• check to see if they are right
Over the next few weeks, we will be revising words from the National Curriculum spelling list for Year 3 and 4. As these are words that you all need to know, there will only be one spelling list.


Copy and cover
Write and check
Write again
exercise



extreme



experiment



experience



though



through



although



thought



height



weight



quarter



question





5 comments:

  1. Roses are red,
    Violets are blue.

    A face like yours belongs in a zoo.
    Dont you worry i'll be there too,

    Not in a cage but
    laughing at you.

    Hee hee haha.

    I like this poem because it is funny and also
    because it is short and easy to learn for
    me.

    Ksenia

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is my poem:
    together we party
    together we cry
    kept every single secret
    and covered every lie
    cus we're BEST MATES till the day we die!

    my explanation on why I like it:
    I like it because I love the way its based on best freinds

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Dreamed a Dream
    I dreamed a dream in bed last night,
    Of places most bizarre.
    Of ponds of liquid lemon pie,
    And ducks that played guitar.

    Of perfect picture puzzle paths,
    And grass of jellybeans.
    Of crumpet homes and candy gnomes,
    Such things I'd never seen.

    Of glinting, misty marble stars,
    And clouds of thick eclair.
    Of crayon boats and biscuit goats,
    A weird and strange affair.

    I flew past trees of centipedes,
    And over fondant hills.
    Past eight-leg cats and purple rats,
    A world so full of thrills.

    I dived beneath a soapy lake,
    Through plastic kelp and Bream.
    And swam with rainbow octopus,
    Past shores of clotted cream.

    And down below the treacle waves,
    I spied a feathered bee.
    But with a start I woke to find,
    My pillows eating me!
    I like this poem because the poet describes his or her imaginary world. I also liked how there were candy gnomes and other edible things that are not actually edible.

    By Neha!


    ReplyDelete
  4. Once i forgot a tune to a song
    Once i got my spelling words wrong
    Once in PE i fell on my face
    Once my juice spilled all over the place

    But mastly school is fun,fun,fun
    I run with my freinds in the golden sun
    I learn to read and i read to learn
    I feed our fish we each get a turn

    I add and subtract and i count quite well
    I go on field trips and do show and tell
    And sometimes when there is extra time
    My teacher lets us write a rhyme.

    Ksenia

    ReplyDelete